P. T. Barnum returns

     Mr. Smith writes:

     >Interesting responses my innocent little post provoked. There is a
     >line from Hamlet apropos to this thread (using the term loosely)

     >the lady doth protest too much, I think....

     >rendered variously, but substantially accurate.

     >What I said:

     Dear St. Michael. There is a line from author Michael Robbins that I
     have always enjoyed and likewise find apropos here:

     First Character: "Kissing a smoker is like kissing an ash tray".
     Second Character: "Kissing a self-righteous person is like kissing a
     mongoose's ass"

     Put down the pipe my friend. There was nothing innocent about your
     post nor your professed purity of purpose . What you said specifically
     and not "variously" among the other baseless sophisms in your rant
     was:

     "The SUV fiasco just underlines this obvious fact...... No one else in
     the world makes these ridiculous vehicles in significant numbers."

     Umh. Wrong again. Let's start with the country you presently reside
     in. CANADA. And if you don't believe me why don't you call the folks
     at GM, Ford and Daimler Chrysler (those evil American I mean
     mutltinational corporations) and ask them exactly what it is they're
     doing in Oshawa, St. Catherines, Windsor, and Bramlea among other
     places. Then, do be kind enough to call the nice people in the United
     Kingdom at the Rover Group and ask them what a LAND ROVER and a
     DEFENDER is. After that you'll probably want to spend some time on the
     phone with our Japanese friends at Mitsubishi asking them what a
     MONTERO is, Isuzu asking them what a TROOPER and a RODEO are, and
     Honda asking them what a PASSPORT is. Just to name a few.

     While I certainly appreciate the high level of concern you seem to
     have for us poor schnooks living here in the land of SUV Hell, I feel
     your efforts would be much better directed at those of your fellow
     citizens who have fallen under the sway of these godawful vehicles. To
     that end, here's a $1.00 (or specifically as opposed to variously,
     $1.45 to you), go find yourself a soapbox stand on the corner and rant
     away. Do however spare the rest of us who'd prefer discussing Alfa
     Romeos.

     Kevin Fillip
     Dallas, Texas