Broken "Easy Out"

Here is my problem:

While trying to change the fabric rear suspension limiting straps on my 74
GTV, I found the screws were very rusted and frozen in place.  I drilled the
heads off, pulled the straps and blocks off, and use a vise grip on the
remaining stubs.  I got two out, but the other two sheared off flush with the
mount bracket.
As is my usual luck, things went downhill from there.  I then broke off a
drill bit in one screw and broke off an "easy out" in the other screw.  Now
I'm screwed!
No machine shop in town will touch these screws in the car, and I have
rejected buying a dozen diamond drill bits and drilling it out myself.
I am thinking about using a hole saw and drilling the hidden, captured nuts
out of the bracket.  Then weld some nuts on a strap and slide it into the
bracket from the end.  An alternative would be to cut the bracket off and
weld on a new bracket from a donor car.
Surely this has happened to others.  Are there any other ideas out there?

Next time I will simply drill out the screw/bolt and retap the hole.  Plus I
will install stainless steel bolts instead of using the original Philips head
screws.

I have also added "easy out" to my list of oxymorons.
Thanks for the help.

Keith Kelly
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Raised in Cocoa Beach, Florida

'74 GTV (stuck on jack stands)
'66 Duetto (in the body shop getting a paint job that will cost      more
than the car is worth.)
'61 Giulietta Sprint Normale (project covered in the back yard, dreams of
being a race car)
'59 750 Giulietta Spider Normale (project in a friends shed, dreams of being
a sunny day driver)

End of alfa-digest V7 #1344