RE: Driving in the States (excessive rant)

Hate to break it to all us auto-enthusiasts, but we are definitely in the
minority here in America.  Sure, we Americans love our cars and our history
is intertwined with the development of the auto & the roadway network.  But
most Americans view their cars merely as utilitarian appliances that get
them from point "A" to point "B" in an insulated fashion.  It doesn't matter
to a "soccer mom" that a vehicle can pull 0.9g in a turn, just as long as
there's enough room for the groceries and little Timmy and all his
teammates.  Unlike in the not-so-distant past, a majority of Americans have
no patience or ability to get under the hood of their vehicle and
troubleshoot their vehicles.  And why should they?  Computerized engine
controls, modern electronics, 100000 mile warranties and justifiable
expectations of trouble-free reliability have spoiled us.  "What, the
[choose one: toaster/refrigerator/automobile] is acting up again?  Time to
dump it and buy a different one."

When selecting a vehicle, the major discriminator seems to be how stylish
(or ostentatious) an image we project while riding on our efficient but
sterile highway infrastructure.  Combine it with inexpensive fuel & and
VOILA!!! ...everyone is driving SUV's laden with cupholders.  So what if
many U.S. roads do not deliver a thrilling driving experience???  MOST
AMERICANS DO NOT CARE.  In this respect, large American-made 4x4 vehicles
fitted with slushboxes and running boards perfectly meet the needs and
expectations of the majority of the American public.  "Incomprehensible!" we
enthusiasts gasp, and may even add "I sure do envy those Europeans..."

That being said, driving in Europe is not always a fun experience.  Cars are
expensive to buy & operate, the traffic congestion in the cities is
ridiculous, parking is difficult to locate and costly once you find it.
Toll roads & highway taxes, automatic photo-radar, excessive speed
differentials between vehicles (Porsche meets 2CV), etc. etc.  I've driven
many an autobahn that was so crowded it made me long for a wide-open
American interstate.  And those great twisty roads?  Some are not much more
than paved-over goat paths following centuries-old trade routes... this is a
very different driving environment from the U.S.A. (though I know of plenty
of American roads that out-twist the European roads!)  Not better, not
worse, just different.  Alfas and other small agile cars are designed for
and thus are suited to this environment, but can be a fish-out-of-water
anywhere else.

For those of us who appreciate sporting attributes in our automobiles, then
ownership of a car such as an Alfa is a way to appease our loftier
expectations.  But remember, we are definitely in the minority here... we
expect more out of our autos than mere transportation, and in order to get
it we are often willing to make some concessions to reliability,
parts/service availability, practicality, etc.  We are also willing to
invest the time and money to sustain our vehicles through life-extending
maintainance.  It is very hard for an automaker to sell ever-increasing
numbers of new vehicles to a population that is looking for little more than
an appliance, especially one that is looking primarily for practicality over
performance.  Bye bye, Alfa...