164 heater leaking

Yikes!

Last night coolant began leaking into the passenger side of my '95 164
LS and also began steaming up the windshield. The fluid seems to be
flowing down underneath the vertical  carpeting and forming a pool on
the floor. I looked up 'heating unit' on the Car Disc CD and the first
thing it said is 'remove the entire dashboard!'  Aaaarggghhh!

Anyone know of any easier failure points to check for before removing
the dashboard:? Are any hoses accessible from underneath?

Thanks,

Tim Carrico
'95 164
'86 GTV6