Entering a plea of "Not Guilty"

Way back in 1320 I wrote:
"For those who admire the appearance of the SZ and RZ, I would suggest taking
a good look at what could be done with a GTV6 and some fiberglass overlay
panels, much like the ones the kit-car industry uses to make "Ferraris" out
of Corvettes, Datsuns and Fieros. Drop in a Verde engine, some raunchy wheels
and a set of Superpro bushings, 225/50 x 16 tires and bask in it - -"

In 1321 Eduard van de Beek replied "so hit a few body panels on a GTV6 and
than have an SZ is the same as make an imitate Ferrari on a Beetle frame I
think.....it can be fun, but never be the same as the real thing !!!!"

In 1323 Giovanni (Grizzo?) added "I know I'm a little late, on this but to
John Hertzman, I seriously think you've underestimated Alfa's engineers on
The SZ, to imply that some aftermarket Fiberglass kit and a few applicable
mods could make a GTV6 into an SZ is truly underestimating the SZ and Alfa."

Please, please - - I did NOT mean to imply that "some aftermarket Fiberglass
kit and a few applicable mods could make a GTV6 into an SZ". I DID mean to
suggest that "For those who admire the appearance of the SZ and RZ" (a group
which most emphatically does not include me) a GTV-6 could be a viable base
for an imitation. That is a very different thing. If I wanted the SZ kind of
performance and handling (which I don't, particularly) I might want to try to
clone the two "mules" with which alternate approaches to SZ chassis tuning
were presented on the track at Balocco to Fiat and Alfa Romeo executives in
April 1988. They were, according to Roberto Piatti, "lurking under the
outward appearance of a 3.0 V6 America 75", the European designation of the
Verde. Except I would prefer to skip the visual add-ons which distinguish the
Verde from a 2.5.

Sorry for the confusion,

John H.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1324