Daimler-Chrysler-Fiat AG

There have been several mentions in the last few days of the rumored liaison
between Daimler/Chrysler and Fiat Auto, leaving the other aspects of the Fiat
conglomerate as they are. A sub-text has been the anticipation that this
could, or would, lead to Alfa's return to the USA.

On December 14 a prime digest lurker had broadcast this story to a list of
about twenty old Alfa hands, citing Ward's (a US auto-industry trade
publication) and the Detroit News website (detnews.com) as sources. I
happened to mention it to another particularly well-connected lurker and he
replied that (edited for brevity) "at Arese in the executive dining room
upstairs above the cafeteria while there recently - - - almost every day and
it was a surprise to me to meet so many Mercedes men stopping by our table to
chat. I was told at the time, off the record, that the buyout was going
down-but didn't bother to spread the word when I got back. The last time I
tried telling people on the Digest the reality of the situation in Arese (as
I see it, at least) I was inundated with emotional missives displaying a
tremendous lack of critical thinking skills by everybody that replied, so - -
- - I don't bother anymore. Let people think (or emote) what they want, I won't
argue with them."

The earlier note, citing Ward's, (again, edited) had started "it seems the
Senator has decided to sell all of the family's shares to D-C AG. This means
immediately 30% of the shares, thereby control, will shortly be in the hands
of the Germans. Deal appears signed a while back, with lawyers now working
out details."

Then came the critical part: (add virtual Italics) "Already decided is brand
management of Fiat will be Chrysler  while Alfa and Lancia will be "managed"
by M-Benz."

That split sounds very logical to me, whether it does or does not involve
selling any of the Fiat-brand cars in any particular market; I can see the
Barchetta and the Fiat Coupe (or their successors) sharing floors with Vipers
and Prowlers to compete against the likes of Mazdas, and I can see
teutonicized Fiats having a role in various other parts of the world. Where,
or how, the other Fiat brands, including Alfa, would fit into Mercedes'
marketing strategies for a country such as the USA is murkier, although they
might be seen as viable competitors against the VW/Audi niches. Stay tuned,
if you wish, but I am not going to be holding my breath in anticipation of
any proper heirs of my preferred past Alfas landing here anytime soon.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.