SZ-RZ

Hi, a reaction on the digest entry from John H.

He wrote the following:

"The extra 260 pounds of the RZ over the SZ is probably steel, not =
plastic, in my=20
opinion, in the platform, not in the panels, to compensate for the loss =
of=20
the structural roof framing. "

He is completely right, but that is also why the plastic panels off the =
RZ are made LIGHTER ( not heavier ).... to compensate the increase of =
weight in the platform etc...other changes are f.i. a steeper front =
window, an other bonnet, other front spoiler etc.etc.etc. There are a =
lot changes that you can not see in a picture or at first site

Another thing...the SZ is built on a shortened IMSA racing 75 and almost =
all rubbers in the suspension etc. are gone and replaced by uni-balls, =
also this car has a ground effect, caused by modifications in the front =
of the platform, it has a CW of 0.30, other springs and shock-absorbers, =
it needs an oil cooler for the gearbox !!! because the car is to low to =
cool it effectively in a normal way....its engine has 210 hp, because of =
changes at the engine, motormanagement, the car can go to 1.3 G-force =
when cornering....etc.etc..... so hit a few body panels on a GTV6 and =
than have an SZ is the same as make an imitate Ferrari on a Beetle frame =
I think.....it can be fun, but never be the same as the real thing !!!!

Refering to the article in Road & Track's May 1989 , there are several =
mistakes in that article, probably due to the fact that the car was =
moreless still in its "pre-selling-fase" , and the lack of serious =
information about that car at that time.

Bye.....I like the SZ discussion on the digest.....Eduard van de Beek - =
International SZ register - The Netherlands

...want to see more of the SZ...look at my HomePage:  =
home.wxs.nl/~evdbeek/monster.html