Sloppy handling - part 2

Re my comment: For all of you out there accepting sloppy handling cars
(Spiders & GTVs) because your mechanics said that was normal - GET A NEW
MECHANIC THEY ARE HACKS!

It has been my experience that the average mechanic does not appreciate the
tight crisp handling of an Alfa and may never have experienced this quality
in the cars - that is the mechanics ignorance.  This is not a shot at
reputable mechanics - a little slop costs just as much to fix properly as a
lot of slop - good mechanics know this.  The fact is if you have a sloppy
handling 105/115 series car it is not cheap to fix the slop.  Sloppy cars can
also be dangerous.  I have seen tie rod ends that were ready to pop out of
the socket.  Get out your IAP or Centerline catalog and add up the cost of
new stock bushings, upper A-arms, lower ball joints, tie rod ends, trunion,
trailing arm, swaybar busings, etc.  Just parts alone is going to cost $500
that does not include shocks or springs!  Maybe you can get the parts cheaper
- - it may also cost more depending on your "source"  Labor may set you back as
much if not more than the parts.  I know it takes me a day to replace all
that stuff if I am focused.  Now is that slop bad enough to justify spending
$1000 to fix?  It would probably take driving a tight crisp car to convince
the average "sloppy" car owner that the answer is "YES"  Tight crisp handling
is what Alfas are all about!!

Yes, Alfas definitely vary in degrees of slop.  Keep the oil off the rubber
and the busings will last significantly longer.  I have a stock 75 spider
with 140 k that has what I believe to be stock and original rubber busings
and ball joints (I have changed the tie rod ends) and it handles quite well.
Another fellow in Houston has a 79 Spider with half the miles of my 75 that
is so bad it borders on being dangerous.  For $500 and a weekends worth of
work and I have no doubt his 79 will be as tight and crisp as it was when new.

By the way don't overlook the steering idler box - they seize up and the
result is heavy wandering steering.

Ben Higgins
Galveston, TX