71 GTV camchatter

In AD7-1313 Scott Murray is concerned that his perfectly running '71 GT
Veloce, with valve clearances right on spec, camshafts not worn, cam buckets
fine, and chain tensioned correctly, has quite a lot more valvetrain noise
than his friend's 71 GT Veloce, and is wondering if anyone has any
suggestions as to where to start looking for the noise?.

Yes. I would be concerned about my friend's car. Alfas are not primarily
about being silent cars on which you can balance a nickle on edge on the
radiator when they are running.

There was a time, I am told, when Rolls Royce specified minimum oil
consumption; if the car did not consume that much oil, the service agency
should tear down the engine, find the fault, and rectify it. If friend's GTV
does not have the normal clatter of a properly on-spec engine, friend's car
should be fixed before he burns valves or seats.

If I'm missing something, I will be glad to hear from older and wiser heads.
Fred? Russ? Simon? Anybody?

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1314