Re: spyder 86 trouble

Regarding the troubles that Claudio Benvenuti is having with his 1986 Spyder;
I had these EXACT SAME symptoms with my own 1986 Spider Veloce just over a
year ago. Claudio describes them as: "Without any apparent reason the car
does not start even if until that particular moment was running O.K. In other
words, I may be driving to the grocery store, park the car and later be
unable to restart it. It can happen at any time without any warning. When I
turn the key to start the engine, the starter activates O.K., there is full
power throughout the car (lights, radio, etc. everything works), but the car
won't start. It may take few minutes or days, and at a different try it will
start right off, just like you would normally expect".

After months of not knowing whether my car would start or not, it finally
quit for good at a convenience store about 4 blocks from work one night on
the way home. Stopped in to get some soda, came out 2 minutes later and "no
start". Called a tow truck to tow it back to work (all of 4 blocks... the
world's shortest Alfa tow???) and parked it in the warehouse.

Started diagnosing it about 2 weeks later and went thru all the steps for all
the components: fuel pump, ignition switch, battery, etc, etc. You know what
it finally was??? The darn distributor rotor!!!!  The car had not been
tuned-up in a while and the contact end of the rotor (where it sparks to the
inside terminals of the distributor cap) had simply gotten so bad from
oxidation and arcing it would not pass a spark or do so intermittently.
Simply changed the rotor and the problem was solved!!! I noticed a bit of of
increase in performance too. And yes, after I determined it was the rotor I
changed the cap also.

Best Wishes,

Ed at Caribou Imports, Inc.
NOW... the largest Fiat parts supplier in the Western U.S.
visit us on the Web at:
www.caribou.cc
NEW ADDITION to our Web site: check the Autotraders nationwide database of
Alfas or other vehicles for sale OR list your own car for sale FREE. Courtesy
of Caribou Imports!