my dream Alfa,and Alfie throws snow...........

Greetings Alfisti!
      It's been a fun week here in the Washington,DC area;10 inches of snow
at the house this week.Of course, I've been working crazy hours this
week;snow and rental cars don't mix.(One jackknifed tow truck w/ car
attached,both dented.......and 2 more dented cars.)Obviously this week has
been eating into my Alfa Digest time, just finished 12 of them..............
       I've got to throw my two cents into the "dream alfa" thread.My second
choice would be a "Fred DiMatteo edition" spider;first would be my Milano
(Alfie) and Lazarus, my Alfetta Velocissima;and if they were available,a 1900
Boano coupe,an 8C 2900 with the roadster bodywork (GORGEOUS!!!!) and an
AeroMacchi AM202 fighter plane powered by the Alfa built RL1000 motor.
    With regards to the surprise snow here in the Washington DC area this
week;I drove Alfie (87 Milano Gold, 138 k miles) to work the first day of the
storm.I drive 30 miles one way to work over a parkway which is primarily
hills and curves.My snow driving experience is incredibly limited;being
raised in the deep south (GA) where snow shuts the city down and everyone
rolls over and goes back to bed....I've driven in snow once in my life before
this,and that adventure resulted in a towing bill...........
    My drive to work was over unplowed roads with snow coming down at a fast
pace.I took it slow;around 30mph and had no problems whatsoever getting to
work.The car was very predictable in its handling;It really surprised me to
find that the car's handling characteristics aren't much different in snow
than they are when it's dry.Starting off from a stoplight was a bit tough a
time or two but once it's rolling it was very stable.Being a "snow driver in
training";the car instilled a lot of confidence and was actually enjoyable to
drive in the snow.I had a number of surprised employees on hand at the office
when I showed up at 7:30 for work as usual..I recommend an Alfa as a winter
car wholeheartedly;great heater,well balanced handling, and gets lots of
grimacing stares from my employees who thought they were going to goof off
for the day............

Getting ready for the next snow storm,
Terry and Sharon Akins
Alexandria,VA
1987 Milano Gold (Alfie the snow goat)
1979 Alfetta Velocissima (waiting for me to finish the seat covers)
1999 toyota Camry (my company car for the missus, the automotive equivalent
of Valium)
1989 Toyota Celica GT (HER car)
an incredible selection of dented rental cars