'86 Spider

A long shot, but I once had a similar problem with an Audi 5000.  Drove me
nuts.

There was a thermal discontinuity in the distributor pick-up coil -- hot,
it opened, but the stub remaining active was enough to keep it running,
though not for start.  When it cooled, continuity looked fine.  Everything
checked, cool.  One day I checked continuity within the distributor when
it had just refused to start -- open circuit.

r.m.bies