Re: Head Gasket

> Date: Mon, 14 Jan 1980 12:48:55 +1300
> From: "Leslie J. Singh" <Les.Singh@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: Head Gasket, also info
>
> This might help someone:
>
> The most common fault that generates the symptoms mentioned in the original
> posting - olio in the acqua - is the rubber o-rings going hard in the head
> gasket so that they are no longer able to hold in the oil pressure. The oil...

I had nothing but external leaks on my Alfetta, no apparent mixing of
fluids. When I pulled the head I discovered that 3 of the "square-cut
viton O-rings" that came with the headset had split at the gap of the
roll pins that were previously installed on this engine.  The job was
done 3 years and 15-20K miles ago.

My theory on the coolant leaks is that the roll pins are too high and
preventing the head from sitting down on the block.  The seal at the
cylinders appeared to be just fine.  Is such a condition possible?

It seems to me that these roll pins are causing problems rather than
preventing them.  They certainly didn't help the o-rings live very long.
It also looks like they may restrict oil flow to the head.  I'm thinking
of removing them if I can.

 Any opinions?

Mark Tamas
116 GT