Re: Milano rear wheel bearing

A follow up to the story that bs presented two weeks ago.  As we left our
heroes, things couldn't have been worse.  Completely spent physically and
emotionally after hours fighting our own ignorance and 7 years of rust R&Ring
the driver's side rear wheel bearing, insult was heaped on top of injury when
the sob still growled on the "finished" test drive!  Aaaarrggh!!
Well, this past weekend, we did the passenger's side.  Couldn't have been a
more different experience!  Different garage, but just as well equipped,
maybe even better.  It was almost pleasant!  Only took 3 hours, including
breaks for espresso, conversations and inspection of the OSCA engine in the
middle of rebuild, inspecting the S2000 racer's body work & ignition system,
etc.  A very leisurely pace.  Everything came apart easily, and everything
went back together easily.  Piece of cake is the only phrase I can think of
to describe it.  In all fairness, this side had been done only 18 months ago,
and I know for a fact that it was a giant struggle to get that bearing out on
that occassion.  Best of all, the car is so quiet!
Lessons to be learned:  In diagnosis mode, the growling went away when the
car turned to the left - the passenger side bearing was the bad one.
This is a job that really requires a lift, an impact wrench, and the proper
tools.  We replaced the outer bearing retainer nut w/ the older GTV6 ring -
still available, and an exact fit (it weighs 3x as much as the  Milano one,
but the tools work better -get a better purchase on it).  I would recommend
you plan on replacing the retaing nut w/ the bearing, there is an excellent
chance you'll destroy it getting it out - they only cost $ 10 - $ 17 (depends
on where you get them).   A 3/4" drive wrench is a good thing.  An impact
wrench is indispensable -  we hung/bounced a 200# guy on the end of a 3'
handle (handle + estension pipe) , and the nut didn't budge - I was literally
afraid the car was going to flip off the lift!  A minute or so with the
impact wrench - spun the nut right off - didn't even break a sweat.  Now know
the driver's side nuts are reverse threaded - actually the manual does
mention this - but it is at the END of the section - pays to read all the way
through first!  The most humbling event was a conversation I had w/ a
seasoned pro - he claims w/ a straight face, that barring any major problems,
he figures about 1/2 hour to do the job!  Yikes, good thing I don't make my
living doing this!