a little rant on newbie Alfa buyers and ownership

I've been watching some of the newer additions to the Digest community
as  well as older ones, and the inevitable is happening as I am sure is
part of the death throw of a car marque in an abandoned market.

Service outlets find it more and more time consuming to source parts
quickly, lose interest/profit and stop working on the cars, Checkbook
owners who rely on an Alfa quickly find, as it creeps into automotive
old age, (most 164s being nearly 10 years old...)that the car is getting
more expensive to keep on the road, and bail out for a more modern
appliance, and the bottom feeders of the auto world, myself included,
come out looking for deals.

My point is to forewarn the shoppers as these "bargains" show up... Just
because a car is cheap to buy doesn't mean it will be that way to feed.

GTV6 owners are quickly learning that parts are getting tight in the
interior and body department. Don't hold your breath for "aftermarket
repro" as there is little real demand in numbers that are profitable.
this only helps the downward slide in resale value. The real hardcore
owners will pay much more for the rubber and trim as it trickles into
the specialty supplier's catalogs. The nicest cars will stabilize in
value.

Milanos are in the center ring of unwanted Alfas at the moment, taking
over for the GTV6 as they fade into garages and salvage yards. This
doesn't mean that they are bad cars, just peaking in their cost to
maintain vs. the mental cost vs' value department. Both cars will slide
rapidly into the "value free" environs until all of the junk and daily
drivers collapse and the cars are rare. (try buying a used headlight
right now...) Then I will regret the loads of Milano parts I have
chucked over the last months due to other's lack of interest.

164's will follow, but due to their relative simplicity/durability in
the high mile area, will soldier on a bit longer. Early high mile cars
are slipping and values are all over the place. I just bought a 164 for
an amazing price, as the owner just wanted it to go away. THAT weekend.
Is it a good deal? For me, sure, I can fix anything it needs myself, but
what if needs a transmission? Most 164 owners who are paying to have
work done are on the fence when faced with a big bill now.

My whole point here, is this. If you are buying an Alfa because it is
cheap and cool, beware. I joke with my customers, it isn't buying the
car, it's keeping the car that costs money. No $1500 Milano is going to
be a trouble free car. Be prepared for major expenses, be happy if you
are wrong. A college student buying an Alfa? Nuts unless he's loaded.
Figure around $200-300 per month for maintenance if someone else is
doing the work. If you can't handle the cost, the car will break your
heart and your wallet. A well looked after Alfa will drive like no other
car, but it's equally disappointing to watch it perish due to neglect or
ignorance. just be sure you know what you're getting into.

Micro rant over.

AlfaBill
Tampa FL USA
91 168B (Sofia) and 164L