Need help with pre-purchase of 1990 Spider

- --============_-1263456411==_ma============

At 2:18 AM -0500 1/23/00, Ken Ross wrote:
>I have found a 1990 Alfa Romeo Graduate Spider for sale with only 12K miles.
>The ad reads as follows:
>alfa romeo spider graduate.  It is a 1990 and looks brand new.
>It has 12k miles on it, air conditioning, AM/FM cassette, power mirrors,
>and a tan interior.  The price is $8500.
>
>Is this price too low?  Should I be weary of something wrong with the car?
>What is the difference between the various spider models (graduate, veloce,
>and Quad.).  What do the 1990 and older models lack that the newer post 1991
>models have?  Any pointers as to what I should look for in a pre-purchase
>inspection?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Take care,
>
>Ken Ross
>Kdross@domain.elided

Ken--

As the owner of an 89 Graduate, I may be able to help.
While I was not specifically looking for a Graduate model, I was not
upset that the low mileage (13,000k) Alfa that I found was the
Graduate model.  There are a number of advantages/disadvantages.
Briefly, they are as follows:

No plastic body mouldings.  Some like the look of the Quad, I like
the classic look of the Graduate.

Vinyl roof.  Not nearly as good looking as a cloth top, but probably
more durable.

No electric windows.  Definitely a plus...(Have you seen the recent
threads on this digest with electric window problems?)  Some people
like the convenience of power windows,  but hey this is a sports car.

Seats..In the Graduate they are a simple vinyl (Mine are now covered
in sheepskins.)  In the spyder they are leather or leather with suede
inserts.  The vinyl is more durable, but the leather is both more
comfortable and supportive.

The interior detailing is better on the spyder and quad.

Wheels...The Graduate came with 14" steel wheels with poor quality
plastic wheel covers.  The Spyder and Quads came with either the
classic five star or a telephone dial type alloy wheel in 15" size.
I have replaced my steel wheels with Panasports and have just had the
new Michelin snow and ice tires mounted on my steel wheels, so they
do serve a purpose.

Air conditioning.  Spyders and Quads came with factory air.  Many
graduates (mine included ) had the air dealer installed.  I found
this out when I needed to replace a valve that cost $25 instead of
$125. So I guess that there are some advantages.  The few times that
I have used the air, it worked fine, but if you need air, the top
should be down.

The top cover boot is much more basic than the others, but it looks
good and does the job well.

The price is about right for a car of this age and mileage, maybe a
touch low, provided that it is in the condition that the ad
indicates.  In addition, I am told that the '90 models were among the
quickest cars, with the engine upgrades of the later models while
being lighter due to no power steering, etc.  I'm not sure if this is
true or not.

Also, if you are not familiar with Alfa's, I strongly recommend that
you purchase Pat Braden's book, The Alfa Bible.  Reading it is a must
before buying any Alfa.

Good Luck,
Fred Sacks

- --============_-1263456411==_ma============

<excerpt>I have found a 1990 Alfa Romeo Graduate Spider for sale with
only 12K miles.

The ad reads as follows:

alfa romeo spider graduate.  It is a 1990 and looks brand new.

It has 12k miles on it, air conditioning, AM/FM cassette, power
mirrors,

and a tan interior.  The price is $8500.

Is this price too low?  Should I be weary of something wrong with the
car?

What is the difference between the various spider models (graduate,
veloce,

and Quad.).  What do the 1990 and older models lack that the newer post
1991

models have?  Any pointers as to what I should look for in a
pre-purchase

inspection?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Ken Ross

Kdross@domain.elided

</excerpt>

Ken--

As the owner of an 89 Graduate, I may be able to help.

While I was not specifically looking for a Graduate model, I was not
upset that the low mileage (13,000k) Alfa that I found was the Graduate
model.  There are a number of advantages/disadvantages.  Briefly, they
are as follows:

No plastic body mouldings.  Some like the look of the Quad, I like the
classic look of the Graduate.

Vinyl roof.  Not nearly as good looking as a cloth top, but probably
more durable.

No electric windows.  Definitely a plus...(Have you seen the recent
threads on this digest with electric window problems?)  Some people
like the convenience of power windows,  but hey this
<italic>is</italic> a sports car.