seat belts

Please advise on how the seat belts/shoulder harness attach on a '73 GTV.
They were removed for new carpets and were reinstalled. They appear to be
correctly installed from what I remember of their appearance, but the lap
belt doesn't extend far enough to buckle up(~4" short), and I haven't gained
any weight!! I looked inside the retracting mechanism and the belt appears
to be fully extended but still won't reach the latch. Any suggestions?
Thanks--Mark