Re: alfa-digest V7 #1290

> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Dead '86 GTV-6 Help!!!
>
> The saga continues:
>
> So I drive 5 hours to school, from a moderatly temperate weather
> (connecticut) to upstate New York. The car runs great on the trip up.  I park
> my car outside my dorm room that night and when I get up the next moring it
> wont start- overnight though, it got pretty freakin' cold!!. The engine will
> crank, but won't catch. I checked the fuel pump--lifted up the air filter and
> pushed the flap, and it sounded fine. I got a new battery, but wore it out
> trying to start the car. I called AAA today and they put fresh gas in it and
> jumped me-- nothing. I had my friends push me and tryed to jump start it,
> nope! I have narrowed it down to two things, either the fuel lines are frozen
> or I have an ignition problem.
> - -Tomorow, I am going to check the spark by lifting up a spark plug line and
> seeing if it will jump onto a screw driver. If theres spark, then there is no
> fuel.
> - -If there is no spark, than I guess I will orger a new distributor cap and a
> new coil. does this sound like a good idea????
> - -Also, does anyone know of there are any (doubtful) alfa mechanics around the
> upstate new york area?? I go to Hamilton College which is Clinton NY, but
> very close to Utica.

Congratulations -- you have the makings of an Alfisti -- you are
hanging-in there without overly much profanity....

These modern cars (and that's new enough) are complex, and difficult to
DIY.

You are going to need at least a few tools and the like.  You've had
electrical problems (perhaps still do); you need a little multi-meter in
order to measure resistance, and voltages.  Also, a basic 3/8" socket set,
and sundry screw-drivers, pliers, and <allen wrenches>.

Not to mention the "bigger hammer"....

There are many reasons these things may not fire, or keep running, or
whatever.  One relevant to starting problems is that the ECU (computer)
needs a good 12v to run -- if the red lead at the firewall is dropping
lower than that on start, you have a problem.

I think the easiest way to check if you are getting enough fuel-flow to
start is to remove the cold-start injector (leaving the electrical
connection intact) and see what happens when someone turns the key and
grinds the starter -- a cone of fuel should be present (probably a good
idea to put the cig far away for this).

I think the easiest way to see if you are getting a proper spark to start
is to spray a couple seconds' ether into the intake horn (through the
grill on the passenger side -- open the hood and you see where it is).  If
you have a proper spark, it should fire (and just might actually start).
(These things are warm-blooded Italian machinery -- they do not like the
cold -- for that clime, a German or other N Europe machine is easier
[those do not like the heat of summer]).

It is also easy to flood these things, and foul the plugs.  Ether <may>
remedy that -- but what are the plugs?  Some people put the cold Lodge H2L
in, and they are too cold to clear in a cool climate.  I like the Bosch
(single prong) Platinum (they are costly enough)...

These tests should give you a clue (if it still will not start)

r.m.bies