Importing a vehicle for show (long)

Hi Guys,

If any of you are planning to import a non-conforming vehicle to the US
for normal use, I suggest you forget the idea. Your best bet is to import
it as a show vehicle. There are 5 requirements to have this done:

1. Whether a vehicle of the same make, model, and model year was
manufactured and certified for sale in the United States
2. Whether a vehicle of the same make, model, and model year has been
determined eligible for importation pursuant to 49 CFR Part 593.
3. Whether the make and model of a vehicle is currently in production.
4. Whether production of the vehicle make and model was greater than 500
units.
5. Whether the vehicle is a kit car, replica, or special construction
vehicle.

If the answer to items 1, 2, or 5 is affirmative, you should not expect
NHTSA to grant permission for importation. If the answer to item 3 is
affirmative, NHTSA generally expects to grant permission for importation
only to the manufacturer of the vehicle. If the answer to item 4 is
affirmative, the applicant must establish that the vehicle is of
exceptional technological and/or historical significance.

Maybe a 155 Q4 may meet the requirements as having exceptional
technological significance. ButI think a 156 is out of the question as it
is still in production. Most probably a 155 Q4 or a 33 16V P4 may meet
this requirement. However don't hold your breath. They may just tell you
to get a Subaru Impreza 4WD instead.

Note that:

Technological significance - You must identify (be specific) the
technology, engineering, and construction features of the vehicle that are
advanced and of an unusual nature not commonly found in motor vehicles
manufactured in the same time period;

As I recall only the 33 and Subaru have boxer 4s and 4wd. What is so
significant about an inline-4 turbo 4WD like the Q4? What would be
interesting to know is what is defined as "not commonly found in motor
vehicles manufactured in the same time period". Does this refer to only
vehicles produced/sold in the US or to the world?

For now, it's probably a better bet to just stick with what we have here
and hope that Alfa comes back in time so I can buy a 156 or a 147. In the
meantime I will continue pouring money into the Milano.

Zamani
'87 Milano 3.0