Re: Alfa A/C (longish)

Good post by Bill Bain on retrofitting air conditioning to a '72-'74, as Joe
Garcia had asked about. I had previously sent my 1.5 cents to Joe, agreeing
with most of what Bill said, so this is mainly addenda to Bill's post.

Bill wrote "It's my understanding that until 1983, all Alfa A/C was dealer
installed. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my experience has been
that dealer-installed anything varies widely in quality and finding the "kit"
to install a dealer installed option might be hard.

Yes and no. Alfa owner had an article in October 1970 on an owner-installed
unit, and followed in January 1971with an article about a 'kit' for Alfas
made by Frigiquip of Oklahoma City; not cheap ($380, close to 10% of a new
Alfa cost) and a lot of work. Some later standard Alfa units were certainly
dealer-installed; in September 1980 Alfa Owner had a short notice (by Fred
DiMatteo, the AROC-ARI Liaison) about a special sale of factory A/C kits
through dealers at a special price of $545 (Alfetta) and $555 (Spider). But a
1974 ARI flier listing 1974 improvements included "A factory installed air
conditioning system to keep a driver comfortable all year around. Athermic
tinted glass keeps sun out for more efficient cooling.". The photo of the
installation was of a Berlina.

I have a 1973 European GTV with air, including an 'aria acondizionata' decal
in the window, with an installation identical to all that I have seen on 1974
coupes. In addition, some of the parts listed for Alfetta air conditioning
units, including the nasty head studs, have 105 (not 115) parts numbers,
suggesting that they were first used on European, not American, 2000s. From
all of this I would bet that the 105/115 system was first used in 1973 on
some Eurospec cars, then in 1974 on US cars, usually factory installed but
also available as a kit for dealer installation.

Bill' statement that "The SPICA equipped cars hung the A/C compressor above
the alternator using a very crude bar stock bracket that was mounted to two
large studs that were added to the front of the timing cover.  It makes the
front of the engine bay very crowded, especially in a Spider" may be true for
Spiders (with which I am unfamiliar) but the studs were on the head, not the
timing cover, on coupes and sedans. It is, as he says, crude, heavy, crowded
and also ugly, and hard on the heads, which have to be heliarced together
after they break.

Bill's suggestion "Aftermarket underdash A/C evaporators, etc. were pretty
commonly
available in the late 60s and early 70s and can probably be found at most
American old car shows.  JC Whitney may even still hve them :-)  They would
look right for the period" sounds reasonable enough but I doubt that it will
fly. American cars of the period were generally fifteen to twenty inches
wider than an Alfa, and space is tight. The Alfa units incorporated
evaporator, heater core, fans, fresh air intake, ducting, and controls in a
single unit, and I doubt that one could manage separate heater and evaporator
units in an Alfa's underdash space. A 1974 Alfa evaporator would be first
choice, a Spider evaporator would probably fit with some carving of dash and
console, an Alfetta unit might work with more carving- probably a lot more
carving. Even switching evaporators between a Sport Sedan and a Alfetta coupe
or earlier Alfetta sedan would not be a snap. One other possibility would be
to mount an evaporator from Vintage Air (a supplier to the hot-rod/kustom-kar
market) in the trunk, where there is room to play with and where there would
be a weight-distribution advantage.

Bill's suggestion to use the compressor mounting system and hardware from a
Bosch Spider is very reasonable for a GTV, either with carburetors (if local
smog restrictions and personal preferences allow) or with a complete Bosch
Spider engine transplant. Bosch engines have been installed in GTVs (one such
was the subject of an Alfa owner article several years ago, complete with ugh
Spider phone dial wheels) and both smog restrictions and personal preferences
could make that a sound choice. The compressor mounting system used from 1974
through 1978, hanging crude brackets from the head in a way the head wasn't
designed for, seems undesirable. Late Alfetta Sport Sedans used another mount
of a rotary compressor above the alternator, with brackets to the alternator
mount and to a long nut on the exhaust manifold- neater and easier on the
head; and Jim Steck once suggested mounting a rotary compressor where the
alternator normally mounts, and running the alternator above it with a
secondary belt. This would require some fabrication. Any other solution would
require an appropriate crank pulley, different from those on non-AC cars.

One final limit would be the space for the condenser in front of the
radiator. The space is tight, the biggest condenser which would fit is none
too big for the job, and there would certainly be no room for both a
condenser and an electric pusher fan.

If Joe can find an air-conditioned '74 that suits his needs in other
respects, he will be in fairly good shape. Otherwise, if he finds an
excellent non-air conditioned GTV, I would think a cheap, terminally rusted
air conditioned GTV parts car should be a practical donor for all needed
parts, including the different console, with Spider stuff as a fall-back. I
wish him luck.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1276