GTV-6 Steering Column Bearing

About a year ago I posted a query about how the steering column
bearing came apart on a GTV-6, since mine was loose and the column
was flopping around.  This detail doesn't appear in either the CD or
paper copies of manuals I have (and my mechanic, an old Alfa guy,
didn't know), but I got firsthand experience with it this weekend.  I
discovered this as I was replacing the multi-switch for the
lights/wipers/turn signals.

I had bought a new bearing when I first noticed the looseness of the
wheel and that it wasn't related to the steering column adjustment
mechanism.  It is a roller bearing with a rubber boot around it.

I pulled the steering wheel off using a  wheel pulling tool, ground
down on both sides so that it fit inside the wheel hub.  As I
removing the switch, I found that one of the two screws that hold the
switch to the column had lost its nut, and the other screw was loose
as well.  Once the switch was removed, the problem became clear-loose
switch. The bearing is a press fit into a recess in the top of the
outer column.  The steering column shaft runs on the inside of the
bearing, and the outside rubber takes up the shock.  The new bearing
rubber is slightly deeper than the recess, and is compressed as the
switch is tightened down.  If the switch is loose and the bearing
backs out, the column is free to move around in its outer housing.  A
wacky/elegant design...

Chris Attias
'84 GTV-6
'64 MGB