nose crunched 164;a plan of attack.....74 spider value advice;Logo Stencils?

Greetings Alfisti!
       This post is for the gentleman  with no collision coverage who had the
unfortunate meeting with the poor driver, resulting in a nose crunched
164.Did you get the other person's insurance information?Laws regarding
accident handling vary state to state;here in VA each person has to trade
insurance info if the accident happened on a public road (whereas you DON"T
have to if an accident happens on private property like a parking lot.A
stupid law here;and lots of extra work for me when a renter gets hit in a
parking lot in one of my rental cars)..
    If you did get the other person's insurance info;file a claim with that
company whether or not they ultimately accept liability .If the person
created conditions for an accident there's a chance that the other person's
insurance company will accept a claim.It may take a while to determine
liability (the best determinator is the police report,at least with my cars
recently)but I've seen similar instances like this with some of my renters;
and State Farm, Geico, Progressive and Hartford insurance seem to be the most
equitable in this regard.Nationwide and allstate are the worst;only God will
help you if you were hit by one of their insureds.
    If the other insurance company denies the claim;then go back to your own
insurance company and ask that your car be fixed by them under a UM
(underinsured/uninsured motorist) claim.They should fix your car under these
circumstances, and will subrogate the costs of the accident to the other
persons' insurance company.The good thing is that your car will be fixed;the
bad thing is that you had to file a claim through your company, which may
result in higher insurance rates for you.The procedure of filing a UM claim
for an accident like this is rather unorthodox;but again I've seen it done
and it works..................
      Take the car in and get a good,detailed estimate from a reputable body
shop.Most of your larger bodyshops have insurance company estimators in these
shops.Please make sure the estimate is detailed and thorough;I've had rental
cars that were estimated by the insureds insurance company,and I've seen
these estimates "lowballed" (written for less than what the actual damage
is).A lowballed estimate only makes it more aggravating when additional
estimates are done for supplemental damage.I hope this info helps;if you have
questions please feel free to email me;I average 1 dented rental car every 2
weeks so I've learned the ropes pretty well.
    I also have a question for all Alfisti with Spiders............Money is
burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm looking for another Alfa.(The wife
doesn't mind, either.Strange, very strange........ :)I've narrowed my
prospects to 3 cars;an Alfetta GT that intrigues me, another Milano, and a
'74 Spider.I know Alfettas and Milanos pretty well, but I'm not so well
versed on Spiders.The one I'm looking at apparently has 59k original miles,
it's that wild yellow color, has a hardtop as well as the soft top
(relatively new but a cheap one)needs a clutch;needs SPICA work (at the least
a new TA, at the most a new SPICA pump) and has a rusty floor board on the
drivers side (has a small hole in it already.The owner, who is definitely not
Alfisti doesn't have a clue as to how much he wants for the car;and
truthfully I don't know how much to offer him....
Could I get some advice on how much this car is worth in its current
condition? Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated......
    Finally,I wanted to know if anyone could tell me where I could find a
stencil for the Alfa Romeo logo.I'm looking for a stencil about 4-5 inches in
diameter.My reasons for this is that I'm making a set of seat covers for
Lazarus, my alfetta Velocissima and I want to embroider the logo onto the
covers I'm making for the headrests (like the logos on the 156's interior,
but handmade and in full color......cool!).Anyone know where I could get a
stencil for tracing the pattern onto the cover material? (I couldn't draw if
my life depended on it,hence the need for the stencil.
Thanks for the help!
Terry Akins
Alexandria, VA
1987 Milano Gold (Alfie,next to receive spiffy seat covers if the Alfetta
seat covers work well)
1979 alfetta Velocissima (Lazarus, getting ready for his coming out of
hibernation party...finally)
Another Alfa to fill this space soon.......
lots of rental cars