re: blipping

Fellows,

I would like to expland on this.
The system was obviously programmed by an Italian with a sense of
fun.  There were two things that impressed me when I went for a
run in a 2 litre Selespeed.  Firstly when accelerating it really
does do lightning fast gear changes.  From a standing start,
using a little bit of anticipation (a hole shot we used to call
it at the drags), the clutch takes up about as aggressively as
you would expect if you are protecting the hardware a little.  It
doesn't step sideways off the clutch or anything, but it is
aggressive.  Then the revs rise.  Just the typical ALFA rapid
escalation of symphonic noise. It is important to pay attention
at this point otherwise you might miss the change!  It really
just snicks through.  This continues pretty much as it does in my
"old" ALFA75 Twin Spark.  But then you reach the first corner.

Secondly, stomp on the brakes.  The expected happens.  You slow
down rapidly.  Then the unexpected.  Like an automatic that has
been pulled back to 1st at 80 mph, it starts selecting gears with
a massive "double shuffle" type of change.  It really gives it a
bootfull.  Fasciniating, and to me, amusing.  I had a smile like
when i am on the racetrack! Serious fun.

I feel that Alp Berker has a point about using them for racing.
It would be a bit like an automatic, and not suitable for
exercising (exorcising?) all of the senses that are stimulated
when racing.  I thing the Selespeed is born out of the modern
city with traffic jams etc.  The fun side is for Sunday drives,
not track work.

So, " Yes, they do!"  With Brio!

Cheers,
david
- ---
David Masters
1989 ALFA75 Twin Spark 140000 kms
Newcastle AUSTRALIA
 mailto:david@domain.elided

 > Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:27:19 +0200
 > From: Olli Jermo <ollie@domain.elided>
 > Subject: blipping
 >
 > yes,  they do!
 >
 > Olli Jermo
 > Tampere,  Finland
 >
 > 1999 Selespeed
 > 1972 2000 GTV
 >
 > Michael Smith wrote:

 >>   Apparently the new F1 Ferrari semi automatic box (with full
 auto function
 >> also!) blips the throttle appropriately for each lightning

 fast downshift.
 >> I believe the new ALFA Selespeed box is based on this
 Magnetti Marelli
 >> product and should do likewise. Any of our Aussie/Kiwi or
 Euro friends, who
 >> can write in English for us ignorunt "americans", have one of
 these and do
 >> they? Blip that is.

- --
David Masters, Group Leader - UNIX,
BHP Information Technology, Newcastle, AUSTRALIA.
Internet: david@domain.elided        	     Phone: 049 402132