Re: spider tranny question, part due

Seeing others' posts on this subject has caused me to rethink my answer
a bit.  Yes, loose shift forks, worn bearings, etc. can cause the
symptom you describe.  I suppose I should have asked for more details.

When backing up and holding the shifter in gear, is there any lurching,
bucking, godawful noises or the like?  Does the shifter kick back?
These are some symptoms of broken teeth, at least in my experience.

I once worked for an ex-Fiat dealer and X-1/9's had this happen fairly
often. One of the reverse gear sprockets is part of the mainshaft and
you have to replace the whole thing. Very 'spensive.  Happily, such was
not the case with my Alfetta!
	Purchased that way(with an extra gearbox), not caused by me! o:-)

Mark Tamas
116 GT
Eugene, OR