Re: Lifts for cars

Paul Rollins <psroll@domain.elided> wrote:

> I believe the best one is the old, single post, in-the floor,
> hydraulic frame lift, that every service facility had twenty
> years ago. It has numerous advantages versus these two and
> four- post, above-the floor lifts and very few disadvantages.
> I know people who have both styles.

I disagree.  The asymmetric, two-post clear floor lift has many
advantages over a center-post lift.

> Advantages:
>     Takes up less space. When you park a car over it, it takes up no
> more space than no lift at all.    Most of us probably need all the
> space we can get. These above-the floor units take up a lot of floor
> space beyond the width and length of the car.

Center-post lifts take up a big swath of floorspace, right in the
middle of the bay.  Two-post lifts have a much smaller footprint
and they effectively double the available parking area.  The posts
themselves can limit door travel, though.

>    Easy to work on suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, as they
> are not supporting the car when it is off the floor.

Most two-post lifts are not of the drive-on style.  They have arms
that contact the chassis at the jack points, just like most center-
posts.

> Easy to install (believe it or not). Only need a hole in the
> ground and a narrow, shallow trench to the air-supply source.
> A 5 hp (110 volt, for N.A. users) compressor on a 60 gal. tank
> will operate one very well.  Don't need an extra-thick,
> reinforced, concrete slab.

I agree that the slab must be up to the task.  If it is, though,
the installer can have your above-ground lift up before lunchtime.
The hydraulic pump is included as part of the unit and it's
much quieter than an air compressor.

> Cheap. Gas stations are taking them out to convert the old lube
> room to a mini mart. The lifts are going to the dump. Find a local
> business that services this equipment in auto shops and they can
> probably find one that is being removed.

Salvaged center-post lifts are indeed cheaper than new two-posts.
However, two-posts are still one of the biggest bargains around.
You can get 7000-pound capacity models for as little as $2000,
brand new.

> Disadvantages:
>
> Hard to do clutch and transmission work on front-engine, rear-
> wheel drive cars.

Or driveshaft work, or exhaust system work, or any other work
that involves unobstructed access to the underside of the vehicle.
This is the best single reason to buy a two-post.

> Not portable. Harder to move when you move to another house,
> but probably not as hard as it seems, if you have a professional
> move it.  Above-the-floor units are tough to move, too.

Two-posts, while not exactly "portable" in the usual sense, are
easily relocated.  I watched a pro remove three 9000-lb. two-post
lifts in two hours.

> Doesn't roll around the garage. How often would one move one
> of these, anyhow? Could one move an above-the-floor unit with
> a car on it?

Two-posts are certainly no better in this respect.  One might
consider a forklift for such an application!

> Can't store another car under it. Probably the only strong
> benefit of the above-the-floor, unit. But, the above-the-floor
> unit only does this with an above-average ceiling height.

Unless you plan on squatting while working under the car, you
need an above-average ceiling height to take maximum advantage
of any lift.

The only reason to pick a center-post over a two-post, in my
opinion, is if your slab isn't sufficient or your garage is
too narrow.  Otherwise, I'd go for the two-post.

Regards,
- -Tom