Re: Lincoln Migpak welder

Lawrence Gowin wrote:

>> I have one of these. It is easy to set up and use, though I
did have to rig a mechanism to keep the wire spool retaining
nut from tightening up and preventing wire from being fed
properly. <<

Hey, me too! Must be a common problem. However, my second spool
of MIG wire (from a different manufacturer) did not require
constant attention to feed properly.

>> ... I highly recommend getting a joddler to put a stepped
edge in metal to do a lap weld instead of a butt weld. <<

This too is a good idea that even pros use. See my article
"Rocker Panel Replacement" at the i Saluti website at:

   http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/rockerpanel.html

This article was based on the demonstration given by Brian Haupt
of Carriage & Motor Works (913 384-4515) at the '99 AROC
national convention at KC last June. In essence Brian said
that butt welding could be done, but it=92s harder to do well,
takes longer ($$) and would probably give a more distorted
result. Apparently there is less local heating and distortion
with lap welding. There are more welding tips in this article,
so if you're going to do panel welding, check it out.

One problem with the Lincoln welder is that it comes with a
hand-held face shield, so you must control the welding gun
with one hand. I very much recommend using a helmet so you
can use two hands to weld. I went further and bought a helmet
with an auto-dimming lens. (The lens darkens when an arc is
detected and lightens in the absence of an arc.) This allows
you to see your work at all times (although using bifocals
with the helmet is still a challenge). The helmet I bought
with auto-dimming lens was about $160US. With standard lens
the helmet was about $30. (If you're using a standard lens,
visibility can be improved somewhat by shining a halogen
light on the workpiece.)

>> There's a 55 minute video on MIG welding for $29.99 (that I
may buy) that might be good to get at the same time. <<

I bought two instructional videos from Eastwood. The one on
"Bodywork Repair Welding" was quite good and I recommend it.
The other video on "MIG Welding" was not very useful. (If
anyone is interested I'll sell both videos for $30US with
free shipping within the continental US.)

And definitely do practice, practice, practice.

Good luck,

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano
'78 Spider