Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:16:13 -0500
From: "Ferdinando Di Matteo" <ferdinando.di@domain.elided>
Subject: GAS SMELL

I am amazed at the things a lot of you new to Alfa owners go to screw up
your systems.  There should be NO pressure or VACUUM in the tank.  DO NOT
TRY TO VENT any part of the fuel system to the atmosphere!  Your pressure
problem is due to a stuck check valve, the metal one next to the vapor tank.
In most cases it can be cleaned and used again.  See the arrow that tells
you the direction of vapor flow.  You should be able to blow through it in
that direction by mouth.
If not, wash with carb cleaner or just get a new one.  Not just any, but one
from an authorized Alfa provider.  If you should
have vacuum in the tank, the little plastic check valve is stuck, that's the
one hanging from a "T" next to the vapor tank.  Replace that one.  Nothing
really  is mysterious about the vapor system.  When pressure develops in the
tank, vapors will find the tiny openings to get out and to your nose.  Fred
Di Matteo  AROC Tech Advisor in Fort Myers, Florida
<<