Retorque 164 head bolts, or nuts?

The shop manual sez check head bolts for torque at the first service, which
is at 1000 miles. Then they should never need doing again, until the head
gasket blows again, presumably.

Enjoyed the animal bird carol from Simon, very neat in light of our
grammatical excursions recently. For birthdays try:  Hippo Birdy Two Ewes,
and of course in the third line a Deer pops up....

As for castle nuts versus the peened in the slot nuts, the latter have
several advantages. First the pre load on the bearing can be as exact as
you like, then bash the little suckers head in, and the nut can't move at
all. Second, you should always use a new nut, and a peened one pretty well
begs you to use a new one, she's probably gonna line up pretty close to the
same spot on the old nut. This avoids the conundrum of the only cotter pin
being available is the wrong bloody size so as we're halfway through we'd
better use the old one and get the right one some day. Someday arrives as
you observe the wheel parting company with the car after a short alarming
death rattle from the bearing....

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada