Spider dipstick for Charlie's "new" '91

In case 11,487 other people have suggested this, I'll make it short (for
me, anyway) -- here's how to get a marked dipstick for *any* car:

1.  Drain oil and recycle.

2.  Fill sump to correct level as per handbook.  Wait several minutes
for new oil to drain to sump.

3.  Remove dipstick.  Note oil level.

4.  Scribe mark in unmarked dipstick, using double-headed machinist's
scribe.

A quick plug for the tool in #4 -- it's a *very* useful thing to have in
the tool box.  It's basically a 12" long, hardened steel toothpick with
a knurled handle in the middle; one end of the toothpick has a 90-degree
bend 1/2" from the tip.  Useful for cleaning, scraping (think dentist),
marking metal, and also *the* tool for marking the location of
attachment screw holes in interior panels.  You align the 90-degree bend
over the hole in the sheet metal, then press the new interior panel over
the sharp end of the scribe.  I had to do that when I replaced the
fiberboard backing in my GT Junior's passenger door panel several years
ago with a new piece of board that had no markings or holes (and the old
one was too rotten to use as a template).  It worked like a charm.

For those who celebrate it at this time of year, a very Merry Christmas
to you all.  And if you don't celebrate Christmas, get out and drive
your Alfas!

- --Scott Fisher
  Sunnyvale, California