Re: alfa-digest V7 #1225 - Alfa Speedometer

    The shop manual for the mid 1980's Alfa spider says the car should travel
22 mph per 1000 rpm.  I have found this to be quite accurate in my 82 spider
with 4:10 rear end.  22 mph x 4.11 / 4.56 = 19.83 mph for your 4:56 gears.
As both cars came with similar rolling diameter tires, this conversion should
be accurate.  That is, 2 times the tack reading should be close.
    To test your speedometer, drive on the interstate and time mileage
markers.  Obviously, 60 mph = 1 mile per minute = 1 mile marker per 60
seconds.  To convert other speeds, divide 3600 by the number of seconds to
get miles per hour.  Or divide 3600 by the desired speed to get the number of
seconds required to go a mile at that speed.  Do it several times for several
miles.  I always wonder how accurate those mile markers are, but they seem to
be pretty good in my experience.
    So if 4000 rpm gives a mile marker every 45 seconds that is indeed 80 mph.

    Palo Alto Speedometer (www.paspeedo.com  650-323-0243) advertises in Alfa
Owner.  They converted my 82 speedometer from 85 maximum to 140 and rebuilt
and calibrated it.  The total cost was about $280 as I remember.  It would
have been cheaper to just use an earlier speedometer with the chrome trip
painted black to match my dash.  My speedometer is off about 5 mph at 60, but
that is fine as it slows down others (like my kids) who occasionally drive
the spider.
    I did not check your tire conversions, but 165 78 14, 185 70 14, 205 60
14, 195 60 15 and 225 50 15 are all about the same diameter.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 12/17/1999 8:21:15 PM Central Standard Time,