Pathological speedometer

[I think someone answered this question a few months ago, if so, please
drop me a line directly.  Thanks.]

I've always had problems with an inaccurate speedometer on my '74 GTV,
but was once told to "multiply the tach by 2" to get an estimate of my
speed in 5th gear (eg 3500 RPM in 5th gear is about 70 MPH.)  I have no
idea if this is accurate.  If it were true, I suppose it would only work
with the correct sized tires.  I was told the car came with "metric
radials" which someone wrote down in my owners manual in 1974 as being
165/78R14s.  (Also don't know if that is right.  The "78" always seemed
odd.)  If that is true, then the 185/70R14s (my current tires) should be
fairly close to the original rolling diameter.  (math below)

So here's my question:  Cruising in 5th gear (mostly on I-5 in Northern
California which is about as boring a drive as they come) I'm usually
going about 4000 RPM and my speedometer reads "65".  I make a 210 mile
one-way trip twice a week.  At the end of each trip, my trip odometer
reads 300 miles.  If my assumption about 2xRPM=speed is correct, then I'm
driving about 80 MPH (honest officer, the thing said "65") and my speedo
is off 30%, but my odometer is off by 50%.  If they're both driven off
the same single cable, how can the be off by different amounts?  Am I way
off base here? Any help appreciated.

I was once told of a proverb that a man with one watch knows what time it
is, but a man with two watches is never sure...

*****************

[((cross section*aspect ratio) * 2) / 25.4] + wheel diameter
All H rating
165/78R14  =  24.13 Standard
195/70R14  =  24.75 Current
195/65R14  =  23.98 Alt.
195/60R14  =  23.21
185/70R14  =  24.19 Proposed
185/65R14  =  23.47
195/60R15  =  24.21 Alt.

Visit George's Alfa Romeo Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/gnhovis
Information, links, and stories about Alfas.
Now with pictures of the '99 Concorso Italiano
and Monterey Historics Races