Re: alfa-digest V7 #1221 - Alfa Headers and Vendors thereof

    Are your headers attached to the back of the transmission?  My Shankle
headers had a bracket that I bolted to the stock transmission mount and
welded to the collector after everything had been bolted in place and the
entire exhaust system had been built.
    Your idea of connecting the headers to the block should not hurt.
However, the engine and the exhaust system need to move a bit independently.
The transmission mount has rubber in it and the rest of the exhaust hangs
from rubber.  If it was all too loose, it might be acting like a long lever
prying the headers at the tightest point, namely the flanges that bolt to the
engine.  The clunk at the rear may indicate too much stress to the headers
from the rest of the system.

    By the way, I originally ordered IAP headers for my race car.  However,
the tubes butted against the ports off center.  There was 1/8 inch of flat
surface obstructing the port.  I thought about porting the headers, but
headers should fit without modification.  I called and their tech guys did
not seem too concerned about it.  I returned them and ordered from Shankle.
A friend checked the IAP headers he had for his race car.  He is also going
to get a different set.
    I will say that the bolts on the front sides of the Shankle headers are
quite tight.  Perhaps the IAP headers were built to give bolt clearance
rather than exhaust flow.  I need to find some 8 mm brass nuts with a 12 mm
head instead of the stock 13 mm wrench fitment.
    By the way, I have had good success dealing with IAP in the past and will
continue to buy from them in the future.  When I did not like their headers,
they took them back without question.  I also deal regularly with Centerline,
Alfa Bill and occasionally Shankle (I have a resentment against Shankle as
they will not send me a price list).  Recently I have been using Vick Auto
http://www.vickauto.com/ mostly because they are in Fort Worth and parts
arrive at my door the next day.  Your results may vary according to location.
 Plus Vick bought out the late lamented Maduko Motori and they are nice guys.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 12/15/1999 1:27:32 AM Central Standard Time,