Spider heater valve & in or out?

To be honest, I've never removed / replaced a Spider valve. While
replacing the hose on the '73 Spider, it was fairly simple after
removing the two small bolts (7 mm head I believe) from the bottom of
the plastic outlet to the windshield defroster. The top portion is held
on by a lip, so slide down after removing bolts. Note, this is on the
left (driver's side, US). Needlesstosay, drain the radiator first and
have a pan ready to catch the fluid running out of the heater when
removing the hose.

Water on the floor leads me to a question. On the '73 the driver's side
rubber carpet fits flush to the center console. Should one want to
remove it, just unsnap and remove. However, on the passenger side, the
carpet overlaps the center console by about 2". If I tuck it under the
console pane and later need to remove it , the screws, etc. holding it
on will have to be removed. Overlapped, it doesn't look too great. How
should it be?

Biba
Irwindale Ca