spider heater

In a message dated 12/13/1999 2:07:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< what does it mean when you're driving along on a chilly night with
 the Spider's heater turned on full ... and the heat comes and goes? There
 was no fluid loss from the cooling system, the engine temperature gauge
 stayed right where it ought to be, but it seemed like the heater core was
 being starved of good hot coolant.

 Could this be a thermostat heading south?

My vote would be the heater valve is croaking.

Here's how to test it, from personal experience.

First, buy a nice new pair of rather expensive Italian dress shoes.  I
believe I used suede. Next, drive the car with the heat on.  If the valve
goes all the way, hot fluid will leak down onto your accelerator foot.  If
the shoe is ruined, you need a new heater valve.

This was on the 71 spider, so YMMV in case they've changed the heater valve,
which I doubt.

Charlie

LA, CA, USA

91 Spider