Re: alfa-digest V7 #1217

I too recently installed Superpro bushings on my 164.  It's a difficult
job, but do-able.  I believe Bill when he says the shop can do it in 3
hours, but without experience, a press, a lift and air tools, I think it
takes at least 6 per side... but I always move slow so as not to spill my
beer.

I found the only difficult part of the job was the front bushing.  The
burning with a blow torch takes about 1/2 hour.  Getting the sleeve out is
the hardest part by far.  I did as bill said and used a hacksaw, but it was
still difficult.  I may just have had a very frozen sleeve.

Getting the new front bushing in is also tricky.  I made a little homegrown
puller with a long bolt, nut and a few large washers.  It worked very well.
Using lots of grease is key.

On the second side, I didn't bother changing the front bushing - not so
much because it is so difficult, but because the original one seemed
fine.

I think I do notice a tighter front end as a result of all the work, but
I'm not very good at perceiving these kinds of things.

I tackled the job mostly because of a little slop when shifting.  I'm in the
process of changing all the motor mounts as I suspect that is the real
cause of the shifting slop.  Changing motor mounts is a bitch.  I'll post
my story when I get the job done.

Lawrence Hegarty,  Montreal, Quebec,  lah@domain.elided
91 164S  86 Spider