Re: 164 with irregular idle (& check engine light)

Vlad & all, here are my findings in regards to the error code test, if I
followed the instructions correctly:

"Push the button under the steering column, on the lower left, with key on
but engine not running, for like 5 seconds. Count the # of blinks of the
check
engine light between every 2 pauses .That is a number you should
record. Repeat count for next 3 sequences. After that should be like a long
pause before any more blink. the result should be a number consisting of 4
digits no bigger than 4444. Typically 1 then 3 other digits.
Post this number, so we can tell you what the problem is."
Vlad

I let it cycle through a few times and came up with 4242.  Between each
number of quick blinks there would be a long blink, then long pause, long
blink, long pause.  Then I would count the number of quick blinks until the
next long pause, etc.  Hope I did it right!

Hopefully this will tell me something, as it takes about 10-12 starts before
the motor will fire, then it runs rough for about 10-20 seconds.  After that
it smoothes out at idle.  Five minutes of idling will get it to drive
smoothly too.

Zach

Btw- the first time the 'check engine' light appeared was while passing a
car on the way home for skiing last week.  It was only on for a couple
seconds.  Now it's on 98% of the time.