Spica cutoff solenoid, the final act

Hi Alfisti:

The diagnostic is complete now on my Spica and I thought I'd share it, so
nobody out there does the same mistake again.  Yes, it's my mistake she let
me down :-)

Rich Hirsch said:

>I had this happen to me once. Problem turned out to be the
>fuel cutoff solenoid (FCS) microswitch.

That is the reason, the microswitch suddenly decided to stuck on closed.

>So I'm getting the '78 Spider ready for our local Spring
>Alfa event in Washington Missouri. Part of the process
>includes spraying the engine with degreaser and washing
>it off with lots of water...

Ouch!  I failed to mention something.  Thought it was unimportant.  I bought
this engine degreaser and used it on the oil pan and transaxle.   It worked
great!  First spray on, then splash lots of water on it.  Since I saw it's
working that good, I decided to do it on the engine.  Started with the
exhaust side, it cleaned it up really nice.  Then moved to the Spica side.
I was afraid of the distributor getting wet, but I said that should dry out
by itself.

>Next morning, the car starts right up and runs well for
>about 30 miles. Then a stumble that lasts for about three
>seconds. After that the car would alternate between running
>well and stalling. The car seemed to be OK as long as I
>accelerated, but on just holding the gas pedal steady,
>the car would lose power. After about four miles of battling
>the car, I decided to pull off the road and see if I could
>find anything wrong.
>
>When I pulled off the road and let off the gas the car died
>immediately and would not restart.

In my case it ran for about 10 miles (on and off during 6 hours).  It died
once of a sudden, no warning.  It would restart, run for a split second,
then die immediately.

>Apparently, when I washed the engine,
>water had gotten into the micro switch compartment. Checking
>the cover, I noticed that the seal was poor. Consequently,
>water could get into the compartment and did not drain out.

That's my story too.

>Moral: Don't use much water around the Spica pump when
>you're washing the engine!

I wish you told me that a week ago! :-)  Spica owners, beware!

>And, if you're in limp-home
>mode, disconnect the wire to the cutoff solenoid.

That's a quick dirty solution.  However, if you have a catalytic converter
on your car, that can damage it.

Thanks, Rich!

Costel
77 Alfetta/Spica - disconnected cutoff solenoid
Beaverton, Oregon