Alfa and SAAB, Alfa powered VW Bus

I was following this thread on Alfa and SAABs with interest because I
currently drive an 88 SAAB 900 Turbo convertible to work. While not
apples to apples, if you ever get down on your Alfa, drive another
lesser motored car for a week.

SAAB uses a 2 lt 4 cylinder that is boosted, and while the v6 Alfa is
obviously not a 4, I have driven a 164 with a 2 lt. 4 cylinder motor.

The Alfa 2 lt  spins up with no concern for a limit, whereas my SAAB is
unhappy and gets nearly unpleasant and coarse above 4000 rpm, sadly
right where the pants kick comes on tap. On the highway, the SAAB seems
like it is working hard at 3K and resistant to rev freely. The Alfa, as
if on a self destruct mission, wants to shoot for the stars and wind up
until it blows apart.

Another project is my 71 VW camper which seems like a popular candidate
for engine swaps including the old Subaru 1.8... Please tell me that
someone out there has stuck a nice 2 lt Alfa motor in one of these...
I'd even settle for a 2.5 V6 in the trunk... Radiator placement is NOT
an issue. :o)  BTW, would you believe the Bus has a .38 cd? Any players
for an Alfa powered VW bus?

AB

- --
AlfaBill http://mastroalfa.com/parts.htm
Mastro Alfa Romeo / Subaru Inc. 800.683.ALFA
Home of SuperPro Polyurethane bushings and Magnecor Wires
Alfa Digest photo page: http://mastroalfa.com/digest.htm
Tampa Florida USA

End of alfa-digest V7 #1203