Addenda to oral traditions and apocrypha

Zach Kator's redline drew a nice bumper crop of comments, with mine going out
just as ad7-1195, with Scott Fisher's, Steve An's, Caxambu's and Dr.
Tenney's, came in my mailbox. Couple further notes-
(1) In Caxambu's Owner's Manual the illustrations of the dashboard controls &
instruments show the tach w/ correct redline on the Berlina and GTV pages,
but the Spider page shows a tach w/ the redline at 6300 RPM. My 1750 Owner's
Manual (published 11/70) shows the 5700 rpm base for the redzone on all three
models.
(2) Scott Fisher's "oral tradition" legend about Italian law concerning
speeds does not fit the difference in redzones between European tachs and US
tachs. We have the 5700 rpm redzone base with a 4.55 rear end, and Europe had
a 6000 rpm redzone base with a 4.10 rear end. The Italian oral legend should
not have affected us more than the Italians.
(3) Dr. Tenney states that "The major reason for lowering the "redline" is
the increase in rotating and reciprocating mass (and their effect on
harmonics) associated with the increase in engine displacement." My
impression was that piston speed is a much larger limiting factor than mass
associated with displacement. The Montreal offers an example contemporary
with the 1750 and sharing much of its technology; the 1750 Veloce, with an
88.5 mm stroke, develops its rated power at 5500 rpm, while the 2600 cc
Montreal, with a 64.5 mm stroke, develops its rated power at 6500 with a
lower piston speed and (presumably) much greater rotating and reciprocating
mass with its 50% more displacement. The Giulietta and 106 2600 offer similar
comparisons; comparable technology and design thought, while the 75 mm stroke
1300 developed its rated power at 6300-6500 and the 79.6 mm stroke 2600
developed its rated power at 5900 with twice the displacement and
(presumably) masses.
(4) I bet Don Black knows the key details - certainly about what was going on
at ARI in defining the US versions of the European originals.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.