1255 code on 164LS (24V)

My 164LS has a very rough idle. Before I investigate a skipped timing belt,
I want to eliminate other possibilities. The check-engine readout says 1255
which is a bad cam position sensor. The shop manual says that to diagnose this
you should check for 1.5V at pin 2. If that fails, then check for 20ohms between
pins 1 and 2. If this fails, replace the sensor. When I checked these, I found
..15V at pin 2 (when connected) and 550 ohms resistance between pins 1 & 2.

Before I spend $120 on a new sensor, does anyone have any experience diagnosing
a 1255 - cam sensor? Is this a valid test?
- --
Colin Verrilli           <verrilli@domain.elided>        IBM Raleigh, NC