Re: tank filters

Regarding the 2600 in-tank fuel filter, I don't think it's anything
like the newer ones. If it's like the Giulietta/Giulia ones from the
same period, then it can be rebuilt, but it's not worth it. The
external filters are easier to get and to replace. To do anything
with the in-tank filter, you have to empty the tank and remove the
large plug at the bottom.

The Giulietta one has brass screen soldered around a tinned metal
frame. The fuel pickup has a ferrule on it that mates with an o-ring
seal at the top of the filter cage. The fuel is supposed to go thru
the screen to get to the pickup. Invariably, the screen gets torn, or
clogged with goo, and has to go. The only advantage of the screen is
in blocking any crud large enough to plug the fuel pickup. The
external filter won't do that. I use a glass see-thru filter with a
replaceable element. I have one at the tank, and one at the carbs.