turn Signal Flasher Unit - Follow Up

Thanks to all those that responded to my inquiry about flasher units for my
'77 Alfetta GT. Following one of the tips, I traced the wiring diagram in the
owner's manual around the flasher unit, wrote down what each of the contacts
was for, and their relative positions to one another.

Armed with this info, I went to my local parts store and started sifting
through the offerings on the rack. I found a generic flasher unit for 4USD
that had the same connector pattern. The signals now flash at a faster, more
normal rate.

One odd thing I discovered while trying to install the unit was that the
flange at the connector end was a larger diameter than the unit I removed and
there was an interference between the flasher flange and the fuse block where
the flasher mounts. A little time with the Dremmel tool at home soon solved
that problem.

A second odd thing is that now the turn indicator in the dash (tach) unit
stays lit, dimly, while the turn signals are off, even with the ignition
turned off. A slight jar of the fuse box and they go out. This dimly lit lamp
doesn't seem to affect the signal operation.

I'm back to the schematic to try and figure out what is happening (and making
sure the dash light is off after I leave the car). I wonder if it could be
the flasher unit itself making contact internally due to the specific
orientation, or possibly the metal case of the flasher contacting some of the
car wiring. I'll have a look at it, any suggestions from the rest of you?

Tom
'77 Alfetta GT
'63 Spider
Seattle
(where the sun is out, the mountains have snowy peaks, and it's damp & cold)