GTV brakes; ignition; and gas

I've been following the GTV brakes thread and I seem to have the opposite
problem: When I first start the car, I usually get a rock-hard pedal.  I
wait a few minutes for the car to warm up and the pedal returns to
normal.  I replaced the master cylinder two years ago and as best we can
tell, do not have a vacuum leak.  Is there a valve in the vacuum line
somewhere or some other valve which is somehow gummed up and opening when
it gets warm?  Lately that interval from hard to soft pedal is taking
longer (and the mornings are getting cooler.)

BTW: Following the thread on electronic ignitions, I went to Ben Dixion's
site and read the article on building an electronic ignition, then went
to the Jameco site (no endorsement implied) and bought their kit.  I
assembled the kit, put it in a box as recommend on Ben's site, hooked it
up, and have since put 1,500 trouble-free (knock on wood) miles on it.  I
even have pictures of the box on my web site.  (See News page.)  My gas
mileage has improved by 15-20%. (But remember I have one or more bad
intake valves which are passing way too much gas into the combustion
chamber--now some of that is burning off due to the longer spark
Ithink...)

Here's a good question:  What kind of mileage are people getting from the
4-cyl engines?  I was getting 28-30 mpg, and now seem to be getting
32-33. (That's after you correct for the pathological spedo/odometer
which tells me I'm going 55 when I'm doing 70 and measures a mile at
about 4000 feet.)

There was a thread some while back about which gas to use and if higher
octane matters. It might not matter from a theoretical/physics
perspective, but it does from a quality perspective.  Certain members of
my extended family (names have been changed to protect the innocent) used
to own several gas stations.  In certain areas of the country and with
certain brands, the lowest priced gas isn't always produced by the
refinery which owns is sold at the  station.  Sometimes it is stated as
such on the signs in the station, sometimes not.  What you are buing when
you pay more for the higher octane gas is really a higher quality
product.  Whether you car can make use of the higher octane is another
issue.  My advice is that if you can use lower octane gas, don't go for
the cheapest available.  Or at least sure that it is in fact refined by
the brand represented or go for the next higher grade.

Visit George's Alfa Romeo Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/gnhovis
Information, links, and stories about Alfas.
Now with pictures of the '99 Concorso Italiano
and Monterey Historics Races