Les.Singh@domain.elided

From: "Leslie J. Singh" <Les.Singh@domain.elided>
> Joe Garcia wrote:
> >After seemingly EONS of lurking, I step into the breach to ask something.
> >Having followed the "which is best" thread, I am curious as to what the
> >"ideal" Giulia coupe would have (the grill from a '71, the head from a GTA,
> >etc., etc.).
> >
> >I am currently "between" Alfae, and prior to purchasing my "next" I'd like
> >to know which car would make the best platform to have all of the "best
> >bits".
> >
> If we're opening this up the comparison of coupes to include GTAs, then
> there is no contest: the GTA wins hands down. However, to build the ideal
> "Bitsa" using a steel-bodied coupe, I suggest the following as my choice:

A few remarks and deltas:

> '71 1750 GTV body and interior (small taillights, classic dash preferably
> with Veglia instruments)

There may be a delta, or two, within the '69 through '71 Sprints, but they are
quite trivial.  I'll stick with my '69.

> GTA/GTA Jr stainless steel Grille - the heart-shaped piece - to replace
> chromed muckmetal GTV part, but retain 1750 black mesh.

You left out: fibre glass bonnet, rear deck lid, doors, and GTAm fender
extensions.

> 1750 engine with GTA Jr head; GTA head won't fit 2000 engine. (GTA front
> cover, oil pump and Distributor will be needed for this conversion - ouch!
> Where you gonna get those???)

Yup!
> Weber or Dellorto carbs

Nope!  Even the '69 version of the SPICA injection pump is superior to Webers
or Dellortos.  I've owned and driven both.  If you want performance, you have
Wes Ingram do his magic.
> GTA gearbox
> 2000 limited slip diff

You left out adjustable length upper front suspension arms, re-enforcing the
inner fender panel the mounts the steering box.  If you want to be authentic,
a replica sliding block rear suspension system is de rigeur, though a bit old
fashioned.  A Panhard rod rear suspension is more effective.

> Lightweight ORIGINAL true mag wheels from 1750 or earlier Alfa;  2nd choice
> authentic style replica wheels but NOT MINILITES or other British car
> wheels; 3rd choice 2000 GTV mags (flat, finned type).

This is off the beam.  In the '60s, Campagnolo made magnesium wheels that were
replicas of the Borianni steel wheels that came with all Giuliettas in the
50's and 60s.  There may have been additional sizes, but I know of 15x5.5,
15x6, and 13x7+.  The 15x6 were on the '59 FProd Giulietta Veloce Spider that
I bought from Jon Shankle and raced for 4 years.  I borrowed one of the
narrower size wheels from a guy in Berkely for a couple races when one of mine
broke.  The 13 inchers were run on the racing GTA's.

13 incher Campagnolos may also have been on GTAms, but I don't remember seeing
any in use. I'm pretty sure I remember Panasports on the GTAms that were run
(quite successfully) in the Trans Am series by Horst Kwech.  So Panasports are
at least as 'original' as Campagnolos are on 1750s and 2000s.

I will be buying a set on Panasports for my '69 1750.

> And most importantly: no body drillings for radio aerials, mirrors on
> fenders etc etc, no bodyline striping stickers or any other add-on junk!!
> and no Japanese parts, especially wheels.

This is almost right.  A pair of large Talbot mirrors, mounted at the front of
both doors is mandatory (if you want to be authentic).

> "il Fanatico"  a Wellington, Nuova Zealanda
> lurking on the digest and driving a metallic green '71 bodied GTV with
> 2000 engine (40DCOEs) and 2000 GTV lsd

Chris Prael
'69 1750 Sprint GTV
'85 GTV6

formerly: '63 Giulia Sprint
          '57 Giulietta Spider Veloce (would be race car)
          '59 Giulietta Spider Veloce (race car)
          '67 Duetto (race car)

End of alfa-digest V7 #1154