RE: Tip for 164 remote "replacement"

Folks, forgive my ignorance.  I was unaware that the 164 uses infrared
remotes to unlock the doors.  In my previous GTV6's (83 and 84) and my past
and present (89) Milano I can unlock the doors with my remote without taking
my hans off my pockets.  This is handy when it's freezing out there.
Wonders of after market RF remotes.
Jorge
"Click" and my Milano doors are unlocked.
Here is a tip in case in the future you lose your remote:

Most "learning" universal third party TV/VCR/Audio remote controls operate
using infrared (IR) frequencies.  The way you program them, is by pointing
the original equipment's remote toward the universal one, and hitting
"learn" and a key corresponding to the original's.  This way the universal
control memorizes the frequency of the original signal.

The 164 remote also operates using IR frequencies and its signal can also
be memorized for emergencies.  Therefore you can program your universal
remote to lock and unlock your 164!

For those of you who have PalmPilots, there is a program called IR Remote
that can memorize and play back IR frequencies.  The only problem is that
the PalmPilot's IR range is not as good as the 164's remote, so you will
have to be almost against the window to operate it.  I have tried the
program and have been able to lock and unlock the car with my PalmPilot
IIIx (BTW, the company that sells the software also sells a mini IR
amplifier for extended range).  Usual disclaimers apply here as I have no
interest in the company, blah, blah, blah!

Spiros
94 164LS
85 Spider