Re: alfa-digest V7 #1145

In a message dated 11/08/1999 3:24:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< So: does this sound like the thermostat, water-pump, sender or
 has the leak gotten worse? (can't tell because San Francisco
 streets are VERY wet at the moment, and it's not due to Alfa
 coolant and I've never been able to identify the leak).
 I did replace the pulley for the water pump/ alternator a couple
 of weeks ago and it's been squeeling since.

 Cheers,
 Neil.
 '87 Milano Gold

A leak (crack) in the coolant expansion tank can get progressively worse and
still be hidden in the section that tucks in under the lip of the fender.  If
you're losing coolant and can't seem to find where, that could be it,
especially if you see traces on the inside of the wheel well heading south.
I'm not sure how this might affect your erratic coolant readings, but the
sensor could be going south of or the contacts on the paddle connector at
about 3 o'clock at the front of the engine could be making sketch contact.
Clean them and check on the coolant leak -- you might need at new tank, which
is an easy swap and should cost about $17.50 The tank on my 87 Milano Gold
only leaked when under pressure and hot, never when parked and cold.

Keep cool,

Charlie
LA, CA, USA (rainy here, too)

87 75 Gold