My Alfa history, so far :-)

So I'm still here at work, plodding along on a Friday night.  The gov't
doesn't agree with us, who cares?  Recent posts have been about "The Best
GTV?"  What about the best Alfa??  I can't decide yet, I've had 6 Alfas so
far (in order): '87 Milano Gold, '82 GTV6 (with the blue interior!), '77
Spider, '86 Spider Veloce, '91 164S, '76 Alfetta GT.  Here's how I feel
about each of them....

If I was feeling rebellous and was travelling minimalistic, I'd take the '77
Spider.  I could feel _everything_ the car was doing.  Can you say butter
smooth transmission?   What....You're cold?  Ignore it!

If I felt like doing some canyon carving (curvy mountain roads here in the
PNW) for over an hour at a time, I'd go with the GTV6.  Mostly comfy,
sunroof, excellent foot pedal position, very fast around corners.  I adapted
to this Alfa quickly, learning that clean brake fluid was key.

If I were to be out on a date (imagine that!) on a warm summer evening, it
would be the black on black w/red stiching '86 Veloce I once owned.  Fast,
comfy, no worries Bosch componets (no need to pray to the Alfa gods Steve
S.)  I had so many compliments with that car...if only I had a.....for
every.....

If I wanted to do it all no matter what the occasion, season, attitude, the
Milano Gold (champagne color) would fit perfectly.  This is one of the best
all around sport sedans on the planet.  Period.  Skiing?  No problem.  Road
trips?  Anytime.  Daily commute?  With ease. Track time?  When??!!!!!  The
Gold seats fit me perfect, of which I prefer to the Verde seats.  If someone
on the digest has this car, please contact me offline, I might be interested
in it's future.

Now to build on the Milano, enter a 1991 164S with 99k in December '98.  I
had been w/o a 4 door since the Milano and I was missing out more than I
knew.  The first test drive from Bellevue Alfa had me really confused.  How
can a car that looks so big feel so nimble & sporting?  How cares!!!!!  I'll
buy it!  One month later it was in my garage, in all it's black & tan glory.
Those 16" Michelin Pilots sticking to the road no matter what the
conditions.  The Auto/Sport mode became quite distinct with each mile
driven.  The limits of handling kept just beyond grasp untill.......NWARC
track day in March of '98!!  Can you say 80mph drifts??!!!  ;-)   ;-)
Understeer?  Counteract with the Schuey method (I still love his driving
style, and Michael Andretti's), yeah that would be left foot braking.  So
far with 117k I can't decide what I don't like about the 164S, except maybe
the, uhhh, never mind, I'll shut my mouth cause there's nuthin to complain
about.  For real!  Ok, I wouldn't mind the extra 30hp & 500rpm from the Q.

So I guess I should list my latest Alfa purchase last spring, the '76
Alfetta GT.  Looked like a sorry heap on Alfa parts, although the body was
97% straight suprisingly.  A little rust here and there, some spray paint in
most places.....perfect candidate for a track car ;-)  I stripped the
interior & exterior which in turn raised the ride height by at least 3
inches (bumpers probably accounted for 2" alone).  Now I just need to find
time for it though it is 3rd in line behind the 164 & '90 Suzuki Katana 750.
The Katana only takes priority since it can do 155mph and is the biggest
bang fer yer buck.  I've only driven the Alfetta about 50mi in the 6 months
of ownership....yet it still looks good collecting leaves on the side of my
driveway.  Hopefull this spring I'll be able to dump some $$$$ into it.
Anyone have some GTV6 suspension parts/brakes for a steal??  Used Konis?
Anyone?  Hello?  McFly?  McFly?

As a side note, I notice quite a few NWARC/Seattle area members contributing
to the digest.....keep it up!!   Anyone game to watch some really cool rally
& touring car vids??  Gordy, Thomas, Steve, Emmo, & those I can't remember
off hand, I appreciate it.  Good to know so many friends are close by.
Sure, we get nasty weather all the time (at least we like you to think
that), but what can be better that crossing Washington Pass (North Cascades)
in a Spider 5 weeks ago in a moderate snow storm?  Thanks for the ride
Gordy!!  I needed that.

Well, back to the salt mines, & beer keg.  What?  You think we're just a
bunch of geeks that drink Mountain Dew all day?

Later,
Zach
Redmond, WA
'91 164S
'76 Alfetta GT
'90 Suzuki Katana 750 - my first carburated vehicle :-)
NWARC