GT Veloce

I was going to skip the 'Which GTV?' contest, but then Bob Brady asked "(John
H. can you shed some light here?)" about the question "Does the '69 differ
from the 2000's with regard to brakes or suspension components?" I don't have
a 2000 GTV parts book, and did not check the USA variants, but from my parts
books the 1750 Eurocoupes and 2000 EuroBerlinas share all external brake
parts and suspension components except springs, which come in many variants-
both the standard 1750 GTV rear spring and the trailer-towing 1750 GTV rear
spring have parts numbers indicating they were originally used on Duettos.
Other suspension parts are widely standardized; front stabilizer bars are
identical, and 2000 Berlinas have the same rear bars as the earlier 1750
coupes.

In AD7-1136 Andrew Watry wrote "I think 69 cars, in addition to having
left-thread wheel studs on the left side, had short wheel studs, compared to
the later long ones, and also had 8mm bolts on the driveshaft, compared to
later 9mm bolts." I assume he was using 69 as a shorthand for 1750, as the
1750 books do not show any difference between early and late in these areas.

I have to agree with both Brian and Charlie in their preference for the 1750
over the 2000 - aesthetically - and for the 1971 over the 1969 in many but
not all respects. But I agree even more with Bob Brady that "each year has
something desirable, but no year has all the best bits" and the ultimate GT
Veloce is an individual's mix-and-match. If I had to go with one, box-stock,
it would be a Eurospec 1971 1750, not red, in an understated color- possibly
the yellow ochre - and probably with the cloth upholstery. The '69 seats
(which I had once, transplanted in a Giulietta Spider) are more dramatic, but
I think I would take the '71 seats. If anachronism-enabled I would delete the
C-pillar badges, probably take the early small taillights, and be
hard-pressed to chose between early and late bumpers, but I wouldn't have any
second thoughts about the smoothnose, the 1750 grill, or the instruments and
dashboard. Mechanically, I'd be just as happy with the 1750 engine, and I
never missed the LSD rear in any non-LSD Alfa I had. No radio, thank you, and
no air conditioning, no lowering, no sump guards, no wide tires. Ah, to dream
- - -

Enjoy yours-

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.