Re: alfa-digest V7 #1135 - Motronic Timing and Autocrossing

In a message dated 11/03/1999 3:24:17 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 06:39:50 -0800
 From: Glenn Wasserman <glennwa@domain.elided>
 Subject: Motronic Spider timing adjustment

 I am autocrossing my '93 Spider, and I'd like to know how to advance the
 timing. I've never really done it on any car I've had, and I understand I
 can get a little more power out of the engine by doing that.

 Also, what's the harm in leaving the timing advanced for normal driving?
 Should I set it back at the end of the day?

 Thanks,
 - -Glenn

    My knowledge is mostly limited to the 82 through 89 spiders.  I have not
had to mess with my 91 Motronic spider enough to know the differences.  What
follows applies to the earlier spiders and, I believe, to the Motronic
spiders as well.  However, I could be wrong.
    The timing on the Bosch injected spiders is controlled by the computer.
These cars have two computers, one for the injection and one for the
ignition.  The distributor is just that, an empty device with nothing more
than a rotor inside to point to each cylinder and "distribute" the spark
accordingly.
    There is no easy way to adjust the timing.  I know one racer who modified
the magnetic pick up on the flywheel.  He moved the pickup ahead so the
computer would fire the plugs earlier.  It may have put out more power at
high engine speeds, but it probably started poorly and probably would not
perform well in daily driving.

    So why do you want to change the timing?  Does not your spider perform
quite well as designed by Alfa?  Why screw with something that was not
designed to be adjustable?
    If you are running in stock class C in SCCA autocrossing, the best thing
you can do is buy a set of R rated tires.  Tires are the single most
important improvement to any car entered in competition.
      In the stock class, you are also allowed some other minor
modifications, such as a heavier front sway bar and aftermarket shocks.  So
go buy some Koni shocks.  I have not read the stock class rules in some time,
so I am working from memory here.  However, there are things you can do to
legally make your car faster.  Get a rule book and read it.
    It seems the stock class rules also allow modifications to the exhaust
system back of the catalyst.  Make your Alfa louder and it will seem faster,
even if it is not!  If you want real loud, replace the center muffler with a
straight pipe.  If you want only an imperceptible increase, then replace the
rear muffler with a straight pipe.
    You can also change the driver's seat (I think) and make some changes in
the seat belts.  If you are held firmly in your seat, you will be faster.
However, do not use a full set of shoulder harnesses or buy a seat that
forces you to sit straight up right.  If the car ever rolls and you do not
have a FULL height roll bar, you need to be able to lay your head in the
passenger seat.  I my opinion, Alfa made a mistake on the 88 spider with the
automatic seat belts.  They come over the right shoulder and prevent escape
in a roll over.  Soap box off.

    Finally, you are not going to be national champion in an Alfa in SCCA
stock class C.  I love Alfas and have autocrossed Alfas exclusively for over
20 years, but I do not win much any more.  There are too many higher tech
cars in your class.

    FWIW, the solo II rules are on line at:
http://www.best.com/~mouton/sccasolo/

Ciao,