Re: FAQ about '74 GTV

In a message dated 11/2/99 1:36:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I have a friend that's looking at a '74 GTV, that's in rough but
restorable
 shape.  He know's nothing about Alfas.  Does anyone know of a GTV Faq that's
 online I can point him to that'll answer some of his questions that I can't?

I recently bought a '74 GTV for $9000 which was in pretty good shape with
very low mileage. Had to spend over $10K to bring it up to excellent
condition. That included bare metal respray and lots of mechanical
replacement parts due to aging seals, etc. I would advise your friend to buy
the very best '74 GTV he can find. It will probably cost him between $10,000
and $12,000 and then to leave it alone, just drive it and enjoy.

If he buys a rough one and finds rust in all the usual places he'll be faced
with what could be a $25,000 plus restoration job.. and he'll still never get
more than $10K to $12K for the car should he decide to sell in the next few
years. Remember that any restoration follows the rule of 2. That's twice the
cash outlay you could ever have magined before starting ( with the assumption
that you had all costs figured out).

18 months ago I bought a "rough" but restorable '65 Guilia Spider Veloce.
I've passed the $30,000 mark and have a long way to go.

In my humble opinion the '74 GTV represents the best Alfa ever made. It's the
combination of agile handling, performance and the comfort of a spacious
cockpit, real rear seats for little ones and/room for luggage as well as
attention getting good looks that makes this car the most desirable daily
driver an Alfista can own. I drive mine almost daily.... my sensible car
stays in the garage.

Marc Mosko
'74 GTV 2000
'65 Guilia Spider Veloce - in gestation